The wonderful thing about the world we live in today is that we are spoiled for choice. Regardless of what we are interested in, a simple search online will bring up various options for us to explore and choose from. And yes, even for an adult smoker who would otherwise continue to smoke or use other nicotine products and interested in exploring other tobacco products as a replacement for cigarettes, there are plenty of options to delve into. If you are an adult smoker looking to replace cigarettes, here are some helpful things about cigarette alternatives.
What are the different options for smoking alternatives?
E-cigarettes are one of the alternatives to cigarette. They do not contain tobacco, but rather, use e-liquids that are generally flavored. The e-liquids are heated in order to generate an aerosol, or what some users may call, vapor. There is a very wide range of e-cigarettes and e-liquids on the market, all with varying performance. If you are considering e-cigarettes as a replacement for cigarettes, one difference that e-cigarettes have over cigarettes is that they are smoke-free. Tobacco does not burn in the case of e-cigarettes, since nothing gets lit on fire.
There is also another type of cigarette alternative, called “heat-not-burn”, or heated tobacco, which uses real tobacco that’s specially processed. Innovative technology heats the tobacco in the device to a specific temperature, which also means there’s nothing actually being lit with fire.
IQOS is one such heat-not-burn alternative to smoking. Developed by Philip Morris International, IQOS utilizes a smart technology called HeatControl™ to precisely control the heating temperature of specially designed tobacco sticks, called HEETS.
How is IQOS heated tobacco different than smoking cigarettes?
The main reason for this – it’s based on how IQOS eliminates combustion. The lit end of cigarettes can reach temperatures around and above 600 °C as the tobacco burns – or, combusts. IQOS only heats the tobacco up to 350 °C, which stops the tobacco from burning.
Using IQOS as an alternative to continued smoking cigarettes has several benefits:
1. No cigarette smoke: Unlike cigarettes, IQOS does not produce cigarette smoke.
2. Less harmful chemicals: IQOS heats tobacco instead of burning, therefore it emits 95% less harmful chemicals compared to cigarettes1. Important information: It does not necessarily equal a 95% reduction in risk. IQOS is not risk-free.
3. No ash: Since IQOS does not burn tobacco, it also does not produce ash. IQOS hinterlässt keine Flecken an den Fingern, wie es bei Zigaretten der Fall ist.
4. Less lingering smell: The tobacco vapor produced by IQOS dissipates more quickly than cigarette smoke, leaving less lingering smell than cigarettes. Your hands, hair, clothes – and maybe even those who are close to you – will thank you!
5. Less of a bother: IQOS produces a tobacco aerosol that dissipates quickly compared to cigarette smoke. Thus, it is less likely to bother people around you.
Replacing cigarettes with a less harmful alternative than continued to smoke2 that does not produce smoke or ash – but still provides real tobacco taste and satisfaction – is possible with IQOS. Important information: IQOS is not risk-free.
1 ”95% less” represents the average reductions in levels of a range of harmful chemicals (excluding nicotine) compared to the smoke of a reference cigarette (3R4F). See Important Information on IQOS.com
2 Source: Based on the totality of evidence available for IQOS in comparison with continuing to smoke.
Other IQOS users are also interested in:
Benefits of IQOS
Learn more about the benefits of the IQOS tobacco heater compared to normal cigarettes.Learn more
IQOS 3 DUO, IQOS 3 Multi or IQOS 2.4 Plus? Find the model that suits you best.Compare now
IQOS & science
How science and research have reinvented the use of real tobacco.Learn more